Sunday, August 5, 2012

the journey - then and now

So it has been a while since I have blogged but I can't help but put it off every time I think about it. I am still in awe that we live in Pennsylvania and that we traveled over 1,000 miles to get her, let alone that we have been here for a month now! When we got home from visiting PA and Tony was offered the job and accepted it, we began telling those that we love that we were going to accept the position that had been offered to Tony. 
Our last rain storm in Alabama only definitely requires boots and a jacket to play in it with!
We began packing boxes, trying to prepare Chip for a big change, getting our personal affairs in order, and all of the other things you do when you are getting ready to move. I would be a total liar if I told you that there weren't any tears and an inkling of fear, but through lots of prayer and guidance, the Lord washed those things that were not of Him away quickly.

"Beautiful Things" - one of my favorite songs and the best these talents EVER performed together! 
We began saying goodbyes to some shocked people (shocked by the news of the new move) and we began preparing the last parts of our hearts for the journey ahead. We also were VERY VERY VERY excited about this journey! Who else on Earth is blessed enough to be able to say that they get their dream job in a beautiful place, and what other wife gets to say that she has watched her husband become the man that gets to have his dream job and flourish in the gifts that the Lord has given him!?!? 
sleeping like a log in his room in Alabama
As my grandmother used to say, "I could have just swelled up like an ol' toady frog" I was so proud and excited for Tony and this opportunity. People regularly asked me, and still do, why in the world was I so willing to leave my family, friends, hometown, and all I have ever known to move to Pennsylvania. Though cliche and simple, my answer is still the same - "I chose Tony Sharp 6 1/2 years ago on our wedding day, and I still choose Him now!" 
our last picture at our home in Alabama! 
Also, though, the Lord began instilling in us both over a year ago that our time in Dothan was drawing to an end. We never knew that it meant Pennsylvania, but why wouldn't it - why would we put God in that kind of box to not assume that the Lord would send us where He wanted/needed us? There is, though, a huge human part of me that is grateful that it was Pennsylvania, not the African Congo, China, or somewhere like that. I feel like the Lord was merciful to us in that regard! *Sorry for the digression* BUT, Tony felt certain that this was from the Lord and what he was being called to do and where he was being called to go, and as a wife, who am I to stand in the way of his relationship with the Lord and his calling by God to "go"? 
*sorry it's sideways* Making snack bags for the trip with cousing Laynie and Aunt D
One day, I will stand before the throne of the Living God and be asked to testify for all of my actions and decisions - this is not one that I will have to answer for!. I will stand firm that I believe in Tony's wisdom as a husband/father and that this is where we are to be and I have no doubt or regret in his/our decision to come. 

Lots of entertainment through this trip! and even one nap!
All of that being said, let me emphasize that I, too, have had many confirmations and displays of the Lord's hand in this and I, too, have no doubt that this is where we are to be! Things as small as the farmer's market, groceries for Chip, friendly faces, gracious people to help me figure out clothing for PA weather, kind gestures, handwritten cards, and on and on and on, have continually confirmed in me that we are in the right place! 

We have had hurdles, don't get me wrong! There have been tears, there has been frustration, there has been fear, anger, and a little depression, and there has been lots of adjusting. 
onward and upward! 
But our God is so much greater than all of that! He is beyond that in such a way! The "Peace that passes all understanding" that we, as Christians, hear so much about (and sometimes just blow off or take for granted) has overcome me so many times and in so many ways, I can't even begin to blog about it all the peace I have personally experienced!

We are a blessed family that has had the opportunity of a lifetime to literally be the hands and feet of Jesus in a new place, to new people, and with His blessing! We are also a grateful family that has had the opportunity to experience the hands and feet of Jesus through other people that have shown us a way of hospitality, grace, and welcome that we could have never imagined possible! 
a beautiful almost-full moon in the mountains of Virginia
And, we are a "TEAM SHARP" family that has chosen to be the best team possible - God's team - no matter the circumstances! We have chosen to pray for each other, pray together, encourage one another, and love each other during this transition in a way that only "TEAM SHARP" can! 

There will be much more adjusting to do, I'm sure. And the tears aren't done falling and the fear is only temporarily put down, but when those things come back, we have Jesus to claim as victorious and we have each other to encourage and support one another! 

So if you see Tony or I, or even Chip, don't wonder why we chose Pennsylvania, and don't worry about the fact that we are "so far from home" but celebrate with us in the choice to follow Jesus that we made and join us in this journey, hand in hand, and ready to see God move in a mighty way! 
the rental truck with the mountains in the background 
Join us in celebrating the victories we have already had and the celebrations that are to come! That was the journey then, who knows where this journey will lead us today! 

*******************

Before I close this blog, i'd like to share a few more pictures from the journey up! Enjoy :)

I decided to take pictures of all the state signs on the whole trip up andcan you believe i got every one of them!?!?
State #1 - Georgia
State #2 - South Carolina
State #3 - North Carolina
State #4 - Virginia (at night!!!)

State #5 - West Virginia, Tuesday morning

State #6  Maryland (for only about 25 miles - LOL)
And finally, State #7 - PENNSYLVANIA!!!!!!!!
  
WE ARE IN PENNSYLVANIA!!!!!!




Chip - "Oh my gosh! Look at the mountains!!!"

Welcome to Mountoursville! New home of the Sharps!


A few pictures of our house - Boxes and all!!!








Fourth of July in a new place :)




 Chip's 4th birthday in our new house in Pennsylvania!!!
I'm FOUR!!!





We have as many bunnies in PA as we had squirrels in AL


**************************


BYE FOR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and until next time.......................... <>< Go in Christ, walk in your own journey that the Lord has placed you in, and forge on into what He has for you!

~Rebecca

No comments: