Tuesday, April 23, 2013

heading to Sweet Home Alabama

Well, the time has come for Chip and I to make a journey to Alabama to help my parents fight the disorder of Dystonia until my dad can have his DBS (Deep Brain Stimulation surgery). This is earlier than expected and that is ok! We weren't planning on heading down until late May, but Gods ways are not our own. Isaiah 55:8-9 says, "'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.'" God's ways are higher and his plans are better! So we will go to Alabama with the Lord at the front of our mind!

There is a time in our life when we realize that we are a small part of His big plan, and where He wants us to go, and when He wants us to go will be made evident over time. Also, there are moments when you just know that being the hands and feet of Jesus is something that you are not going o understand or even like, but it will be an opportunity to put into someone else, what the Lord has put into you. This trip is not going to be a vacation, fun, or even always enjoyable, but I am choosing to see this as an opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus to my parents. 

I am being given the opportunity to do something for someone - someone special! I am also seeing this as an opportunity to watch God do an incredible work! This will be an experience that I will choose to see through the eyes of Christ. Ministry is not always pleasant, pretty, or perfect, but we serve a God who is all of those things and more. He is a good God, gracious, all sufficient, and ever present God! 

Romans 12:2 says "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." This is going to be the scripture that I am going to pray and believe during this trip and this journey! God is going to do an amazing work and even through the miracle of modern medicine, LITERALLY renew my dads mind! And God has placed me in a position to be able to watch it happen - incredible!

NOW, "What can we do for you and/or Tony?" is the main question we have been asked! Prayer is going to be the best defense and gift you can give us. We do have a few specific things that we are asking for bold and direct prayers about:
1. Pray that God will be able to use me (Rebecca) in ways that even I can't imagine and that He will give me strengths that I never could anticipate or have on my own!
2. Pray that the adjustment for Chip will be smooth, easy, and clear. That we will all know how to give to him and love him in a way that he needs to feel secure, safe, comfortable, etc.
3. Pray for Tony that he will have a strength that is unwavering and that his relationship with the Lord will grow in the silent moments - as there will be lots! 
4. Pray for my dad to remain strong in his faith through this trial and begin praying NOW for the physicians and surgeons hands to be led by the Great Physician! We serve a big God who is capable and still performs miracles every day! 
5. Pray for my mom to remember to always refill herself so that she can continue to give to my dad in a way that only God will provide for her! 
6. And pray for my brother and his wife and my niece, Laynie, that the arrival of their new baby in the midst of this will be a time of joy and celebration that the Lord is bringing to my family! 

Beyond fervent prayer during this time and continual words of support, we don't know specifically what we 'need' yet. In reality, we have all we need - Jesus is enough! And Jesus in all of you, through your words, gestures, prayers, and encouragement will be enough through this time!

NOW - please educate yourself on Dystonia if you haven't already! This disorder is the number 3 neurological disorder in the nation and awareness and research is needed! If you would like to make a donation to the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation, please go to:
http://dystonia.donorshops.com/product/donation/donate.php and make a donation of any amount in honor of my dad - Tim Hornsby! Even just $5 makes a difference and will be honored and used by a great organization that has done so much for our family! Thank you all and look forward to my next post - from Sweet Home Alabama!!!!

<><
Rebecca


1 comment:

Melinda said...

Love you friend - and thank you for the prayer list. Please know that you and your dear family are close to our hearts and in our prayers during this time.