Wednesday, April 1, 2015

God's grace is new every morning

Yes. Today was the morning that I blew it. Today I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, had lots of expectations about how my day was to go with no regard to anyone else in my family, and I expressed those expectations when things didn't go my way. I expected my husband to do things "just right", my son to be as independent and motivated as a 16 year old at 6 years old, and I expected my 8 month old to not be fussy -AT ALL- because he slept pretty decently.

Yes, this isn't just this morning, but EVERY morning. I am a selfish human being who needs God's grace and mercy each and every moment of each and every day. I constantly need correction and reality. I constantly need love and patience. I constantly need a re-do. I try each day to be a little better and most days, I succeed at being a little better than the day before, but other days I totally blow it and seem to go back to where I was 5 years ago.

Today, I cling to the plea and the promise found in Lamentations. Lamentations 3:22-24 says, "Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.' "

How beautiful is God's love and grace! We are not consumed by our evil and by our sin because his COMPASSIONS never fail! Wow - what a generous God we have! He has compassion when I have none. He has no expectations of others when I have too many. His faithfulness to have new compassion each and every morning, even when I don't deserve it, is what gives me my portion for each day.

Wow - if only I could be a fraction of what God is.... I will have felt like I didn't blow my day totally. This, though, is what keeps bringing me back to the foot of the cross - his forgiveness and grace to allow me to get up and try again, keeps me in His arms and in His hand. If i didn't need him, I wouldn't keep Him in my life. He is my portion - forever. Allow Jesus to be your portion forever, too, and find yourself at the foot of the cross each day when you are not enough because Jesus is enough!




No comments: