Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Busy-ness leads to emptiness




So I am having a small taste of what super busy moms experience on a daily basis and boy does it leave a bitter taste in my mouth! I am overwhelmed by just a few things and my children being drug out of the house seemingly every day for final practices for end of year things. I can't imagine living a life like this every day. It creates a gap. It creates a void - a longing! I have experienced the longing for peace and for slow lately. I have seen the communication between Tony and I dwindle down to very little as we are just ships passing in the night. "You take Chip to soccer and I will stay home to cook dinner" as Chip jumps in the car from Praise Kids practice to soccer and then home to eat, shower, and bed. There is no time for family, for talking about our day, for teaching or for guiding as 6-year old boys need. WHEW!!! Boy am I glad that this is only a short season in our life at the end of the year. For those of you who do this daily, I ask: "Why?" What is the point of making your child "well rounded" by participating in all those things outside your home if you do not have the time to pour into them the love of Jesus, the ways of life, the confidence of knowing that stillness and home is not a bad thing? Why are we so worried about our children's college sports future at 6 or 7 years old when we need to be worrying about their spiritual future and the habits we are forming for them to take into their future relationships and marriages and families? I don't want Chip growing up thinking that a marriage isn't meant to be lived together, but separately and on the run all the time. I don't want Chip growing up thinking that to be a 'happy family' requires of him to be always busy, and striving to be part of the 'crowd'. I want him to be confident in himself enough to not always need the roar of a crowd or the cheer of an audience as an accolade to his life. But to know that in his personal relationships with others and in the way he loves his family and treats those closest to him, he will make a lasting impact.

I write all of this as I see the next couple of weeks being chaotic for us and all the while, I am going to intentionally impress upon Chip that this is only for a short while and that "This world is fading away, along with everything that people crave, But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever." 1 John 2:17

Consider this, friends, something to instill in your children. Consider that being still and quiet and together is not a bad thing, but the way God intended it to be. Take a moment this week to watch a movie together, to read to your kids, to have a meal together, and to actually ask about how they are doing! Consider asking what they need from you or even if you can pray for them in a certain way! You might be surprised at what they say to you!


Bless you all!
Rebecca

No comments: